Original Article

İstanbul Sultangazi Regional Incidence of Newborn Developmental Dysplasia of Hip


  • Hasan Hüseyin Ceylan
  • Yahya Paksoy

Received Date: 22.12.2017 Accepted Date: 10.02.2018 Med Bull Haseki 2018;56(1):68-73


In Turkey, there is a growing consciousness of developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH), especially after 2012, when the ministry of health has started the obligatory national DDH screening program. Despite many previous studies, exact national DDH incidence is not known yet. In this study, we aimed to report the incidence of DDH in İstanbul, for adding new data to the literature.


We reviewed the ultrasonography (USG) records of 1491 babies who had undergone hip USG examination during a one-year period (Jan 2, 2016-Dec 30, 2016). We assessed the hips using Graf’s classification of DDH. The incidence of DDH was calculated from these data.


We identified six type 2a (0.40%) and 1 type 2b (0.06%) cases, and we could not identified any case of type 2c, 2d, 3 and 4. Overall DDH incidence was found to be 0.46%. Of the seven DDH cases, five were female and two were male. None of the hips worsened during the two weeks of follow-up period, but most immature hips healed.


This study suggests that the incidence of DDH in north-west İstanbul is lower than in other regions of Istanbul and Turkey. To have a more precise national incidence analysis, prospective multi-centered trials should be organized.

Keywords: Developmental dysplasia of hip,incidence,İstanbul

Full Text (Turkish)